Justin joined David Cox Architects as a Part II Architectural Assistant in 2018 after completing postgraduate studies at Liverpool John Moores University and undergraduate studies at Cardiff University the Welsh School of Architecture. Justin was awarded a prestigious scholarship by the Malaysian government in 2009 to pursue further education in the UK for being one of the top achievers in the country.
Justin has experience in designing commercial and domestic developments with emphasis on sustainability, diversity and inclusivity. Justin is skilled at deploying a wide range of traditional and digital media in the form of drawings, analytical studies, and both physical and virtual modelling.
Justin enjoys playing the violin in his spare time and his favourite composers are Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Justin is also fully committed to his fluffy cat who is non-binary and gender neutral.
This was a house extension to a Georgian house for a private client. The design of the extension was executed sensitively with respect to the existing building, in line with the client’s brief and expectation. Justin successfully produced a digital model of the existing building and the proposed extension, to which the clients could view the proposal in 3D in first-person perspective with the use of modern technology.
A low-key residential development within the green belt sought to nestle in with the surrounding agricultural vernacular, whilst remaining residential in its nature. The planning department were keen for the development to be distinct from a typical speculative housing development and insisted on a designed frontage which provided soft landscaping, yet would communicate a different characteristic to a lawn a privet hedge. Once again, Justin’s visualisation skills brought the project to life and enable the planning officer to recognise the benefits of our design approach.
The carefully deliberated design effortlessly combines the heritage of the surrounding buildings whilst seamlessly adding to the architectural aesthetics of the growing city centre.
The development which sits adjacent to the Grade II listed Seventh Day Adventist Church, dating from 1857-9, and Grimshaw Street School, dating from 1836, will be aptly named ‘The Quarters’ and will reinstate the site to its previous residential use.
Setting the proposed development slightly back from the street line allows for the adjacent buildings to ‘breathe’ and the church is afforded space to fully appreciate its architectural quality, form and mass. Particular attention was also given to the elevational treatment with the use of traditional materials, yet in contrasting colours.